As the world tries to recover from the Covid-19 pandemic, students still have to carry on with their academic and personal lives. Malaysia has implemented different types of movement control orders over the course of 2020 making it difficult to take advantage of Kuala Lumpur’s nightlife, or travel to one of Malaysia’s scenic nature sites. That does not mean students can’t have a productive day and an enjoyable social life. Here’s what an international student’s life could look like during the Covid-19 lockdown era.
Morning is breakfast time
With social distancing measures in place, eating at your university probably means eating alone at a designated canteen or cooking in your dormitory. Most dorms only allow you to use water heaters for basic cooking. Therefore, if you want to cook at home you’re likely making easy to prepare meals like Maggi noodles, tuna sandwiches, cereal with milk, or chocolate breads and sweet buns, all found at your local convenience store.
After eating, students have online classes to be present for. Chances are you will need to participate in your class by listening to the lecturer and asking or answering questions, so it’s good to find a nice quiet area to join your virtual class in. We recommend a quiet corner in the library, or your room as long as your roommates don’t mind.
Organizing your documents
Most students now rely mainly on online PDFs and e-books to study their course. They are also able to find past-year papers to prepare for exams at the end of the semester. After class, it’s a good idea to make sure your “house is in order” and that any new files you download during class are appropriately in the correct folders for future use. What you learned week 2 you may not remember in week 9, so make it easy for yourself to remember where you’ve kept the resources you need.
Taking a break
Once class is over, it’s good to relax a short while until your next class or assignment. Getting your mind off of classwork gives your brain a rest so it can focus again later on. One of the best ways to do that is to eat a tasty snack! Some favourite Malaysian snacks loved by both locals and internationals here are:
After lunch, many students take this time to run errands. Typical errands for students include:
- Withdrawing cash from an ATM
- Meeting up for an activity with an extra-curricular club
- Visiting a lecturer’s office for discussion
- Going to a socially distanced study session with some classmates
Nowadays due to more stringent guidelines, some these errands will have online ways of completing them so that you don’t have to physically go to their offices.
Since the lockdown has begun, the range of activities you can do during your free time is slightly limited. Currently, you can only travel in a car with 2 other people , . However, there is still plenty to do despite the limitations. We recommend:
- Reading a Book – Take advantage of the lockdown by reading a good book. Take a stab at something from the best seller list, or delve deep into non-fiction topics to round out your general knowledge.
- Morning Jog – Put your mask on and take a nice morning jog around your campus if you want to get some fresh air.
- Hiking – Malaysia has some amazing trails that are both scenic and a great source of much needed exercise. If you’re studying in Kuala Lumpur, check out Klook’s 12 Scenic Hiking Trails And Nature Walks Around KL to review the best trails in the area.
- Staycation – Why not treat yourself to a nice little staycation at one of Malaysia’s many hotels? Have Halal Will Travel’s 10 Gorgeous KL Accommodations For A Romantic Staycation can certainly turn a boring weekend into a pleasant and luxurious one.
It’s probably not a great idea to go out for dinner even at restaurants practicing social distancing for the time being. But no worries, there are plenty of food delivery apps that can get a delicious meal right to your hostel door. A typical delivery costs between RM1-5, but can sometimes be discounted or free if you use promotion codes or vouchers. Top apps for food delivery recommended by Productnation include: